5.15.2008

Taming of the Shrew

Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew is one among the many plays that Shakespeare wrote during his lifetime. What makes this play unique is how Shakespeare creates the story, using word play, puns, and some very laughable situations. One passage from this play that I found myself laughing about was the following:


PETRUCHIO
Verona, for a while I take my leave,
To see my friends in Padua, but of all
My best beloved and approved friend,
Hortensio; and I trow this is his house.
Here, sirrah Grumio; knock, I say.

GRUMIO
Knock, sir! whom should I knock? is there man has
rebused your worship?

PETRUCHIO
Villain, I say, knock me here soundly.

GRUMIO
Knock you here, sir! why, sir, what am I, sir, that
I should knock you here, sir?

PETRUCHIO
Villain, I say, knock me at this gate
And rap me well, or I'll knock your knave's pate.

GRUMIO
My master is grown quarrelsome. I should knock you first,
And then I know after who comes by the worst.

PETRUCHIO
Will it not be?Faith, sirrah, an you'll not knock, I'll ring it;
I'll try how you can sol, fa, and sing it.
He wrings him by the ears

GRUMIO
Help, masters, help! my master is mad.

PETRUCHIO
Now, knock when I bid you, sirrah villain!


This scene was hilarious, not just because of what it could potentially lead to, but because of the circumstances. One missing word completely altered the meaning of what Petruchio had said, leading to a near violent situation. As horrible as that is, it has a level of humor to it that is captivating. I had to keep reading, just to see if the pair would actually come to blows or someone would come to the rescue before the fighting occurred. The situation was so believable, so ridiculous, and the way the men spoke to one another was very humorous. The threats, the insults, the fear, and the miscommunication all made this passage into the little comedic scene that it is. Situations such as this happened throughout the play, between Kate and other male characters, between servant and master, even between father and son. Despite the sections of less active dialogue, this play kept the audience paying attention with scenes such as these, that capture the true comedy of humanity.

This play was a comedy throughout, taking all the miscommunication, exaggerations, and puns made by the characters and turning them into an entertaining story. Shakespeare knew not only how to entertain his audience, but also how to make them laugh. A play based on taking a feisty young woman and "taming" her has to have some humor, otherwise the audience would be upset at seeing their own behavior portrayed. Shakespeare seemed to be making a jab at the actions of the men around him who, rather than accept a woman for who she is, found it necessary to make her into a meek, pristine housewife. Had he made that spear the main focus of the play, and not woven those comedic scenes into the work, it would have been quite difficult for him to maintain a happy and captivated audience. With his comedy Shakespeare was able to provide entertainment to the masses, and mask his actual thoughts on the situations that he was portraying.


Taming of the Shrew, as humorous as many of its sketches were, left me feeling sad. To think about how women in Shakespeare's time were treated in the manner of horses, seen as something to break into their wifely duties, made me somewhat angry. Not at Shakespeare, just at society as a whole, viewing women as objects because people were too ignorant to recognize that women had their strengths along with their weaknesses. All that was seen was weakness, strength and individuality were stolen from these women, and I just can't understand it. of course, I am from an entirely different time period, but it still bothers me. I found it interesting how Shakespeare used comedy to depict the plight of women. This play was one where I would be laughing, and suddenly realize that I was laughing at the inhumanity of man as they dehumanized women. I definitely felt like I was being toyed with in those situations, being made to laugh, then realizing the hypocrisy of my laughter. Overall, I enjoyed the play, but some aspects of it left me feeling bothered.

No comments: